Friday 14 September 2012

Flowers


Flowers...

So there's this... tradition? ritual? I don't know what to call it because I don't fully understand it. But when a male of this society "likes" a particular female, he will give her flowers.

Flowers.

I mean, seriously, what it the name of all that is living are they trying to say? "I saw this pretty thing, and it reminded me of you because I think you're pretty, so I twisted/tore/hacked off its limb and condemned it to a slow death by starvation, and I want you to have its mutilated remains. Oh, and most likely it's the reproductive part of the whole system, so it can't reproduce, but I hope you and I will."

The truly baffling thing is that the females approve of and encourage this behavior. I suppose that falls in line with the whole venerating violence thing. Being able to kill/maim/destroy helpless plants really shows, what's the word... machismo.

*deep breath* I suppose I judge too quickly, and too harshly. One is supposed to evaluate a society by its own measures, not those of the one measuring. I suppose it's needless to say that such violation of a living thing utterly appalls me.

No comments:

Post a Comment