Friday 14 September 2012

How to begin


How to begin...

After thirty years of observation, careful study, and best efforts, all my attempts at integrating with this strange society have failed. I have no hope of rescue. I can only write down what I've learned so far, so that hopefully my successors will have more, well, success.

I suppose I could borrow one of their own words, though if they found out, they'd probably be offended. It comes from two words in one of their ancient languages -- anthropos, meaning mankind, a word they use to refer to themselves, and logos, meaning study. Anthropology, then, is the study of these... people. I suppose they are people, when you get right down to it.

I'm not trained in it. And they themselves have started to discover the science, though they barely scratch the surface. For all that's holy, it would seem they fear it! They aim it like a weapon, scrutinizing groups they somehow deem 'inferior', yet utterly refusing to see themselves through this lens. There again, it's not an easy thing, examining yourself. One always has to worry that one won't measure up to whatever artificial standards one has set.

As I said, I have no real hope of being rescued, of escaping this place and its people. I can only hope that someday someone will read this and understand. Maybe one of my people, maybe one of them. Doesn't really matter. My people will probably avoid them until they understand themselves. Which, at the rate they're going, could be a very long time. If they ever make it that far.

No comments:

Post a Comment